A Liberation Theology as Black as Malcolm X: The Uncompromising Vision of James Cone

by Ewuare X. Osayande “If the church is to remain faithful to its Lord, it must make a decisive break with the structure of this society by launching a vehement attack on the evils of racism in all forms. It must become prophetic, demanding a radical change in the interlocking structures of this society.” So begins […]

Prison records from 1800s Georgia show mass incarceration’s racially charged beginnings

A Georgia penitentiary in 1911. Library of Congress   Henry Minter was working as a farm laborer in Georgia in the 1870s when he met Mary Dotson, a young black servant girl. The couple never married – which would have been illegal at the time – but they stayed together until Henry’s death. Mary, who was left with […]

BOOK REVIEW: New Mumia Abu-Jamal Book A Decolonizing House of Common Sense and Proper Propaganda About G*d$#mn Amerika

by Todd Steven Burroughs    Murder, Incorporated: Empire, Genocide and Manifest Destiny.  Book One: Dreaming of Empire. Mumia Abu-Jamal and Stephen Vittoria. Foreword by Chris Hedges. Prison Radio, 345 pp., $20. Reviewed by Todd Steven Burroughs LERONE BENNETT JR. IS the star of this writer’s favorite televised history discussion. In September of 2000, Bennett joined a panel of historians […]

Gullah, descendants of Afrikan slaves in South Carolina who haven’t abandoned their cultural roots

BY FARIDA DAWKINS The Gullah Geechee Kinfolk…Pathfinders Travel Magazine The Gullah people, also referred to as the Geechee, reside in Georgia and the low country of South Carolina within the United States.  They are also located within the coast and the Sea Islands  – which are a series of minute islands along the Atlantic Ocean. They equate […]

Black Power & White Welfare, Yesterday & Today

Reflections on Richard White’s The Republic for Which It Stands: The United States during Reconstruction and the Gilded Age, 1865-1896 by  Howard Machtinger , Most of us–99% at least–must pay the other 1% by week or month or quarter for the privilege of staying here and working like slaves Henry George in his 1886 campaign […]

It Feels Like Being on Death Row

by GEORGE YANCY After hearing about the two Sacramento police officers who tragically shot and killed 22-year-old unarmed Black male Stephon Clark because they thought that he had a gun when in fact he had a cell phone, I was seized yet again by that profoundly uncomfortable feeling of trying to make sense of what it […]

Prison Panthers and awakening the Black radicals

by Keith ‘Malik’ Washington “What made him (Malcolm X) unfamiliar and dangerous was not his hatred for white people but his love for Blacks, his apprehension of the horror of the Black condition, and the reasons for it, and his determination to work on their hearts and minds so that they would be enabled to […]

Taking Freedom: Modern-Day Slavery in Amerika’s Prison Workforce

  by BETH SCHWARTZAPFEL Proponents of prisoners’ and workers’ rights point to a push by the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, to “improve and expand federal prison industries” in several states. Known for its “model laws” crafted in partnership between extreme right-wing legislators and powerful corporations, ALEC drafted the 1995 Texas Prison Industries Act, which […]

The Gruesome Story of Hannah Duston, Whose Slaying of Indians Made Her an Amerikan Folk “Hero”

A century after killing and scalping ten Native Americans, she was memorialized in what might well be the first public statue of a female in America Junius Brutus Stearns, “Hannah Duston Killing the Indians” (1847). Oil on canvas. (Colby College Museum of Art, Gift of R. Chase Lasbury and Sally Nan Lasbury.) by By Barbara Cutter On a […]